Wednesday, August 24, 2011

God's Promises


"The Future is as bright as the Promises of God"--William Carey

II Peter 1:4--whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises. . . 

As I was driving to work, the sky overhead was almost black. It was raining and the day did not look good. But as I looked to my left, painted against the dark clouds was a beautiful, bright rainbow. I started thinking about what God promised Noah in Genesis 9, where He promised not to flood the earth again. I thought all day about the many different promises of God we forget about and what they mean.

1. Romans 10:13--for whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved---not maybe. Nothing else required. Just ask, and you can have salvation.

2. John 14:2b-3--I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go, and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself, that where I am, there ye may be also.--We have a heavenly home. Christ is coming back!

3. Jeremiah 33:3--Call unto me and I will answer thee and show thee great and mighty things thou knowest not--God promises to hear our prayer. Not only that, but He will answer them. What do we have to do? Nothing short of believe. How cool is that?

4. Hebrews 13:5--I will never leave thee nor forsake thee--We are never alone. God is always with us.

5. Psalm 46:1--God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble--why be afraid? Who can stand in our way when we have God?

6. Matthew 11:28--Come unto me, all ye who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.--Those days when you feel like you can't go any farther (yes, i know the feeling)--Go to God. He promises rest.

7. John 11:35--Jesus saith unto them: I am the Resurrection and the life. He that believeth on me shall have everlasting life.

These are some of my favourites. What about you? What promises of God shine especially bright in your life? what do you cling to when your world is crashing?

2 comments:

  1. Romans 8:18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."

    I Thess. 5:24 "Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it."

    These are two of my favourites when life gets overwhelming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH! I like them both! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete