Friday, February 22, 2013

FEAR NOT!

Have you ever played truth or dare? Or done the whole "let's take turns asking questions to learn about each other" (normally done with best friends or dating people)? Almost universally, the question comes up, "What are you most afraid of? or "When you were little, what were you most afraid of?" Don't you hate that question? I always have. Either my fears were really embarrassing, or they are stupid to other people. For instance, as a young child, I was terrified of really loud noises. Surprising, right? Considering how loud I am, people think I love loud noises. Really, the only exceptions were myself and music. I was especially terrified of the fans in bathrooms. I still hate them. That's just a stupid fear. I have always hated loud noises. Now, my biggest fear is . . . . you aren't going to believe this . . . . dogs. I hate them. They scare me. I could run marathons if you put a dog chasing me. I'd probably win the Olympic Gold Medal. Keep in mind, I'm not a runner. I just don't have it in me. But when my biggest fear is coming after me, I become a runner. A quick runner. There is a rational explanation about why I don't like dogs. Feel free to ask. I don't like bugs, I love thunder storms, and I've never been scared of the dark--because i love sleeping. We all have our fears. They are all different. 
If you've ever read the books "A Series of Unfortunate Events" you meet a lot of interesting characters. The main characters, Klaus, Violet, and Sunny, face all sorts of ridiculous circumstances. However, they never seem to show fear. However, in The Wide Window, we meet a lady named Aunt Josephine, who's life is ruled by her fears. Because she is afraid of stoves exploding, she never eats anything warm. Because she doesn't want the doorknob to explode into a thousand pieces, she leaves all doors open. Because she doesn't want to get crushed by the fridge, she avoids it. Yet she lives on this house precariously placed over a cliff. One strong wind, and it will blow into oblivion. She can't move, though, because she is afraid of realtors. Realtors. Her fears run her life, and ultimately kill her. 
Think of Joshua. Moses is dead. He's now responsible to lead these millions of people into the promised land. Think of the responsibility associated. The chance of failure is quite high, really. If all those people decide to rebel, Joshua would be dead in minutes. He's one person against so many. But he wasn't really one person. God was with him. Remember Joshua 1:9? "Be strong, and of a good courage. BE NOT AFRAID, neither be thou dismayed, for the Lord thy God is with thee, withersoever thou goest." God was reminding Joshua of something he already knew--God was with him. He didn't need to be afraid. Wherever we go, God is with us. Think of the phrase "be not afraid". It's not a suggestion. It's a command. Don't be afraid. God is with you. It's mentioned hundreds of times. Don't be afraid. Fear not. Be not afraid. Trust in God. Cast all your cares upon Him, for He careth for you. Trust. Trust. Trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment